Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Avalyn Noelle-The Gift

For those of you who don't know already, we had our little girl on April 12th at 12:52 in the afternoon. Here is her story: Avalyn, or Ava, as we call her was a surprise baby. We were using precautions and we ended up with a little surprise. We weren't sure how to handle it, having just had Addy, but the Lord knows better than we do, so we just kind of go with the flow. I let Jame have a say in naming this baby, more so than I have before, which is why her name is Avalyn and not just Ava. I decided that her middle name should be Noelle because it is French for "Christmas" and she is the gift that we have been given, a gift we didn't know we wanted until we got it :) The BIG day: The day Ava was born was stormy and rainy here in Wyoming. My parents were leaving on a flight to go to Texas and my father-in-law, Ned just happened to have the day off of work because they were going to go hiking, however, that didn't happen. I started having quick contractions at about 4:30 in the morning. I tried tossing and turning over, hoping that they would go away, but they didn't. I decided to get in the shower to try to relax, that didn't help either, but it did feel good to take a shower by myself, I just have to be up at 5:00 in the morning to do it :) I got myself dressed and ready and went and poked Jame, who was asleep on the couch, and told him that I thought I might be in labor. He mumbled "mmm, huh" and went back to sleep. I went and laied down on my bed and tried to relax again. Ashlyn came in at around 7 and saw me in pain, she went out and told her daddy that something was wrong, she actually got him to wake up!!! He told me that he hadn't heard me at all!!! He started running around nervously, making sure everything was ready to go and that the kids were all ready and dressed, just in case we had to go. At around 8:30, I thought that maybe it would be a good idea to go out to the in-laws house and drop the kids off. I had already called them and let them know what was going on and I had called my mom and dad, while they were on their way to the airport, and let them know. My dad said, "Are you serious?" Ha, ha!! They weren't expecting it, but neither was I. We hung around at the in-laws for a while and then at around 10:00, I thought that maybe we should head to the hospital. We go to the hospital in Powell because I like their doctors better and I just think that they give all around better care than the Cody hospital does. I called my doctor's office to see who the doctor on call was, because Dr. Bohlman conveniently planned a little Hawaiian vacation the week before my due date!! I was a little worried about who it was, I hadn't heard good things, and so I wasn't in any hurry to get there, Jame was however. He always speeds to the hospital and we always get there just in time, I think he just doesn't want to have to deliver a baby! We got to the hospital and got checked in. The nurses checked me and I was dialated to a 3, so they asked us to walk around for a half an hour. We walked around the hospital for a while and then I got checked again. I was dialated to a 6. They asked me how I had planned my pain management. I have never had an epidural, I've heard good things, it's just never happened. I decided to just get the Fentanyl that they usually give me. Jame warned the nurses about 3 times that when they gave me my pain meds, they should have the doctor ready because everything happens very quickly after that. They listened to him and soon the doctor was in the room. The attending nurse tried twice to get my IV in and finally had to ask for help. I had to sit still while I was in pain and then I was being poked multiple times on top of that. It was probably the worst part. The doctor told them to give me the Fentanyl and then he would be back. Jame warned him to not go too far because within about 30 minutes, I would be ready to start pushing. When they put the pain meds in I got a little sleepy, but it didn't seem like the pain went away all that much. Jame says that I had a better disposition after that :) The doctor got back just in time and I began pushing. He got ready just in time and I pushed for about twelve minutes before Ava was out. She weighed 6 pounds 7 ounces. She is our smallest baby. The minute I saw her, Irealized the great gift that I had been given. She has dark hair and opened her little blue eyes to me right away. She is so precious and we love her so much. Since Ava has been home, things have been a little crazy. I still had school to finish, which is now done!!!! I also have three other little people that need things like food, sleep, baths, attention and love. When I was younger, I didn't know how mothers with more than two kids could have enough to give all of their children. I have found a way though. Jame has been very helpful and willing to do almost anything that I ask of him. He watches the kids (all four) while I go work out or go to the grocery store. He also gives baths and puts kids to bed. It has been a juggling act, but so very worth it. I'm not sure if our little family is completely complete, we'll see what happens in the future, but for now our hearts are very full!!

No comments:

Post a Comment