Sunday, June 26, 2011

Happy Birthday to... My brother!!


Keeping in the tradition that I seem to have established here, I want to devote this particular post to my brother. Today, he turns 27 and I personally couldn't imagine my life without him. We have shared so many memories and experiences together and there he is one of my best friends and most trusted confidants.

Here are just a few of my favorite memories with Sean:

*I remember when we were little and we didn't want to go to bed, so we'd play this game to see who could get from their room to the kitchen without getting caught. Depending on the angle of dad's recliner and the TV this could prove nearly impossible. There was also that creak in the floor in the dining room that would give you away every time. We played this game for quite a while, until one of us would give up and actually go to bed.

*I remember when we were playing on the dirt road by the canal and it had been raining and you and one of your little friends decided that it would be a good idea to throw mud at us. The next day you were supposed to go golfing with me and dad and you found a pleasant little surprise in the toes of your new shoes. I can remember dad waiting for you and going in the house to check on you. When he came back he looked at me and said, "Really, applesauce?" and then started laughing. You had it coming to you.

*I remember you an another one of your friends giving me a snow bath so many times that I finally decided not to get up and just let you kick snow on me because I was grossly out numbered. The next day you woke up to snow being thrown in your faces. You were so mad at me and you went into the kitchen, grabbed the Dijon mustard out of the fridge and squirted it all over me. To this day, I cannot stand the smell of Dijon mustard!

*I remember you and another one of your friends spraying a swear word on Grandma's wall in hairspray and then lighting it on fire. One night, mom was looking at the wall and saw what you had done. Grandma then made you and Matt paint the entire room, but you guys didn't get very far because you had only opened one of the small windows in the room and you were getting high on the fumes. As a result, you were also singing annoyingly loud, we could hear you down the street! So Grandma kicked you out and said she would finish it herself. I always wondered if you guys had planned it that way.

*I remember when we moved to Las Vegas and you were making fun of me because I had to go to school and you didn't. Little did you know that you would have to go to school during the HOT summer months and I wouldn't. Ha Ha!!!

*I remember moving to Texas and the first day that we were there we were a little confused about their lunch schedule and we ended up having lunch together at the back of the school around some scary people. After that, you were told that you were supposed to stay in your class for that half hour and I lost my lunch buddy :(

*I remember when a boy hurt my feelings and you and some of your friends cornered him in the choir hall and threatened his very existence. He stayed in the choir room for the rest of that lunch period. You were my little brother, taking care of me.

*I remember the same sort of instance happening again only this time on a much more traumatic scale, except this time you were far away and all I could do was get your advice and support from over the phone. However, when you did come back you scared the living daylights out of the guy and I haven't heard from him since.

*I remember one Thanksgiving Day in Texas when you and I were given the task of doing the dishes and we were messing around and you put a towel in your mouth. I wasn't thinking and I pulled the towel out an with it came the veneers that were on your teeth. You were SO mad at me. I tried to laugh it off, but when mom told you that the dentist couldn't get you in until the next week and that you would have to go to school for a day like that, I really felt bad.

*I remember when you and mom came to visit one Christmas and Jame and I announced that we were engaged. You and I laid in bed at Grandma Cyphers house, like we had so many times before that and we talked about our lives and our futures. You gave me so much support at that time, because I felt like the world was against me and Jame. You told me that as long as I was happy and that I felt like I was doing the right thing, that was all that mattered.


*I remember, just a few years ago, when you needed me for once. You were in despair and you didn't know what to do. I told you that you could come and stay with us in Laramie and I was surprised when you thought that it was a great idea. You aren't one for small towns anymore, so it caught me off guard. Fortunately, your life turned around and got so much better than you could have ever imagined, so you didn't have to suffer through the worst of Wyoming winters.

*Finally, I remember when you told me that you were going to propose to Jess. I can't tell you how excited I was for you and the only thing that I would change about it would be that I would be there to celebrate with you guys. I have always told you that you need to marry someone like mom and you FINALLY listened to me. I can see why you love her so much. She is a genuinely good person in a world where it is hard to find a person like that. She cares for you deeply and loves and respects you, she also wants the same things out of life that you do, she is smart and giving and all around perfect for you.

Sean, I am excited for your birthday and I wish that I could be there with you to celebrate another year. You once asked mom if you were and accident because some mean person told you that you were (you know who I'm talking about) Mom told you that you were a surprise. You were a surprise, the best surprise and one that I didn't even know that I wanted, but wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have. I hope that you have a Happy Birthday and always know that I love you very much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment