Monday, June 20, 2011

A Letter to My Daddy


I know that I'm a day late, but I think that it's better late than never right? Yesterday was a busy day for us and we spent most of the day at church and at the HawkInn playing games and hanging out so that the hubby could get some sleep. I did however call my dad and wish him a Happy Father's Day, but I was getting in to a no service zone and had to cut the conversation short. Here is what I would have liked to tell him:

Daddy,

You have ALWAYS been there for me. No matter what you have helped, advised and supported me. I am your little girl and I know that you would do anything for me. I have fond memories of our family together and many of them include you doing something entertaining and fun. There was the time that you and Uncle Pudge went fishing and neither one of you caught anything, but the dog did :) There were the times watching you play softball and for some reason you couldn't slide feet first, but you did know how to slide onto your tummy. There were the times that Grandma gave you Captain Crunch for Christmas and everyone could tell that you were genuinely grateful for the thought behind the gift as well as the gift itself. There were the summer water fights that we had and the time that we doused you with water after you came home from work and you were less than thrilled about it. There are so many memories that I have of spending time with you.

There are also the more difficult times that we faced as a family where you stepped up as the leader of our family and reassured all of us that everything was going to be okay. When we all grudgingly moved to Las Vegas, you kept us together and you would humor Sean and I when we played our trivia game with you and mom. Because of that move, I feel like we became closer as a family and although you may not have know it at the time, I relied on you to help me at this difficult time. When we moved again to Cibolo, we rarely saw you because you had to work so hard. When we did see you, you were usually grilling shrimp or teetering up the driveway after playing a little game with Sean and his friends, you know what I'm talking about :) You would also go golfing with Sean and come to as many of my swim meets as you could.

Now, we live far apart and Sean and I have grown up and soon we will both have families of our own. One thing will remain the same though, we will always need our Daddy. You have taught me so much and I am so grateful that God chose to put me in your family. You are always logical when I am more emotional and you help me to see every angle of the picture. You have taught me the value of hard work because let's face it you and mom are two of the hardest working people that I know. You have also taught me about confidence and how far the combination of good self confidence and hard work can get you. Most of all, you have taught me about unconditional love. It didn't matter if we talked back, went to jail, made mistakes. We knew that there was nothing that we could do that would make you love us less. I appreciate the fact that you told us that frequently. I also appreciate that you tell me that you are proud of me and that you love me often. Those are things that as your daughter, I need to hear. I hope that I can continue to make you proud. I just want you to know that I love you unconditionally and that I am proud of you and I am proud to be your daughter.

Love,

TD

No comments:

Post a Comment